Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Uncharitable Deeds

Many groups that claim to be raising money to give food, clothing and shelter to veterans are giving the bulk of their money to professional fund-raisers and the so-called charities' officers, Matthew Kauffman of the Hartford Courant reports. In his detailed investigation, "Charities' Costs Sap Aid For Vets," Kauffman gives the example of one entrepreneur whose four "charities" for veterans raised nearly $1 million in one year but used none of it to help actual veterans. Kauffman offers example after example to show how inefficiently some of these groups spend their money. The shame of it all is that so many veterans actually do need help, and these groups take advantage of Americans patriotic desire to help them.
www.courant.com/news/local/hc-vetcharity1110.artnov10,0,2361826.story?coll=hc-headlines-home.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to say I enjoy your site. I'm a reporter in Massachusetts. I do my best to read, besides my own paper, the "musts" in the area, including the Boston Globe and the Providence Journal. The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal are necessities, too, but it's easy to miss great stuff in papers that I normally don't see, so I appreciate your help in bringing them to my attention.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter